In The Photo: Michael Wittig
Now that summer is over the population in general puts off any consideration to their health and fitness until after January 1st. They see the upcoming holidays of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years as obstacles that will prevent them from accomplishing anything. Let me tell you very clearly this is false thinking and just another excuse among many. We are only talking a handful of “cheat meals” which can be incorporated into any sensible fitness plan. The holidays will probably including a lot of travel for some, but don't forget some of the most popular fitness personalities in the world travel for a living. Traveling doesn't mean our health has to hit the road as well. Here are 7 of my fat loss guidelines that will help you lose weight this fall despite the holidays:
1. Do some resistance training 3-5 times a week and interval cardio 5-6 times at least 20 minutes. When trying to cut body fat rest less between sets and exercising when doing resistance training ~60 seconds. Do interval cardio in a 3:1 ratio (3 easy:1 hard) or 2:1. When traveling pick up a set of resistance bands. Almost every exercise can be done with resistance bands.
2. Drink mainly water. The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total water daily. Drink a big glass upon waking to help activate your internal organs. Coffee and tea are actually fine in moderate amounts and the caffeine can help with weight loss, but it is the added sugar and cream that will work against your goals.
3. Stay away from pre-packaged, processed foods. Eat as natural as possible. Avoid adding butter, salt, sugar and the like to your meals. Use natural seasonings and spices whenever possible. Check out Flavor God (www.flavorgod.com) which makes healthy seasonings that taste great on anything. They have been a game changer for me.
4. Spread your calories out over 5-7 smaller meals and snacks a day. I try to eat every 2-3 hours depending on when I workout. Be sure each snack and meal include some protein. Plan to bring in more calories before higher energy events and less before prolonged sitting and sleep. I am able to pull off eating this frequently with the help of my Six Pack Fitness meal management bag (www.sixpackbags.com). It has been another game changer for me.
5. Give yourself up to 2 cheat meals a week. Eat and drink whatever you want until you are comfortably full. If your cheat meals are planned eat a little less before and after to help balance out the calories. Holiday meals are just another cheat meal for me like any other.
6. If you want to get specific about what to eat lower carb diets do tend to help the majority of people lose body fat. You want to lower carbs, and as a result calories, over a period of weeks to give your body time to adjust. The goal is to eat as much as possible while losing weight. If you drop calories too fast you give yourself no room to go lower later without crashing your metabolism. If you are exercising a good place to start is as follows: 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight, 0.5 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and 1.0 down to 0.5 grams of carbohydrates per pound of body weight (depending on how much you are currently eating). Once you are down to very low carbs (0.5 grams per pound of body weight) be sure to have one high carb day a week to reset your metabolism (~2.0 grams per pound of body weight). I will typically include my cheat meals into my high carb day. I do
not count calories or macros daily. I will spend an hour and outline it once before a phase. Then I will just eat similar items and guesstimate from there. Applications like “My Fitness Pal” can make it easy if you have the time and inclination.
7. While nutrition and exercise should always be your number one focus the proper supplements can help “assist” you with your weight loss goals. Cellucor's Super HD thermogenic fat burner and CLK (CLA + product) work great for me when cutting body fat. Get 25% off all orders on www.cellucor.com using code "WW" during checkout. Register your email for free shipping.
Custom nutrition plans and exercise programs- men/women/home/gym/weight loss/muscle gain-www.wittigworks.com.
Written by: Michael Wittig ISSA CPT
Comments will be approved before showing up.